December 13 2013 Latest news:
Thursday, October 11, 2012
People protesting at the loss of a bus service north of Norwich have been invited to a public meeting with operator First.
Old Catton Parish Council has organised the meeting to petition the bus company to restore a service along Spixworth Road, which was discontinued at the end of last month.
The changes leave elderly people and those with mobility issues with restricted access to a service to pick up their pension, get to the shops and attend doctors’ appointments, says chairman Bradley Sabberton-Coe.
First will be represented at the meeting on November 1, and North Norwich MP Chloe Smith also hopes to attend.
Mr Sabberton-Coe said: “They have got rid of the No. 10 service and the residents don’t like it. It’s awkward to get into the city.
“The Spixworth Road buses were not used as much as the North Walsham Road buses. It seems it’s a matter of economics.”
First announced wide-ranging changes to their bus service, which came into effect on September 23.
He added: “The people who are hit the most are the elderly without any transport.
“At the moment some of them can’t get out the city or do their shopping; they can’t get their pensions or to the doctor’s.”
Miss Smith said: “We need to hear the views of Old Catton residents in the round about the service they want and we weill convey those very strongly to those who run the bus services.
“I have already been doing this on behalf of other constituents on several routes after the recent round of bus changes and I think it’s extremely important to stick up for those views.”
First could not be reached for comment last night.
The meeting will be held at Old Catton Village Hall at 7.30pm on November 1.