December 5 2013 Latest news:
Team Sky's Bradley Wiggins shakes his arm after the fall that blighted the end to his opening stage of the Tour of Britain on Sunday, which finished at the Royal Norfolk Showground. Photo: Steve Adams
Victoria Leggett and Kate Scotter
Monday, September 10, 2012
Tens of thousands of people greeted the Tour of Britain cyclists at the Norwich finish line yesterday as another glorious summer celebration brought at least 175,000 people together in Norfolk and Suffolk.
Last night, as the race winner called the hugely-successful event worth between £2m and £3m to the local economy “incredible”, organisers said they were hopeful it would return again next year.
The first leg of the national race, which swept through Norfolk to Norwich via Yarmouth, Coltishall, Reepham, Dereham, and Easton, surpassed both previous visits to this area as between 25,000 and 30,000 people gathered at the finish line alone.
Luke Rowe, who won the race following a dramatic crash which scuppered Mark Cavendish’s chances close to the end of the stage at the Norfolk Showground, said the crowds were “incredible”.
He said: “I’ve raced all over the world and I’ve genuinely never seen crowds like that before. You look at the faces and they are so passionate.”
Police estimated that across Norfolk and Suffolk at least 175,000 had watched the Tour come past or gather at the Costessey finish line event, which was organised by Norfolk County Council and South Norfolk District Council.
Barry Stone, cabinet member for cultural services at the county council, said: “I don’t think we could have hoped for anything better.
“It brings a lot of extra income to the economy and a big feel-good factor.
“There’s a very strong likelihood it will come back again next year. It’s all down to funding availability but, because it’s worth so much – between £2m and £3m – we will make every effort to get it back for the fourth year running.”
The county council acknowledged there had been some concerns about traffic around the Norfolk Showground, with visitors to the finish line event queuing for long periods to get home.
Spokesman Steve Reilly said, with 25,000 people and up to 12,000 cars, “some delays could not have been avoided”. He said the authority would review the access issues and try to learn from them ahead of future large events at the showground.