April 28 2015 Latest news:
Wednesday, June 25, 2014
This year’s Royal Norfolk Show was given a royal boost when the Earl of Wessex arrived to spend two days at the show as its president.
His visit is the first time a member of the Royal Family has spent two full days at the show in 60 years.
And as president of the Royal Norfolk Agricultural Association he officially opened the show in the grand ring after being treated to a taste of the show’s splendour with a military welcome by the Band of the Brigade of Gurkhas led by Major Paul Norley.
In an address to open the show, The Earl of Wessex spoke to mark the show’s 60th anniversary at its permanent home at the showground in Costessey.
He said: “Although the Royal Norfolk Show is not the is not the oldest, the decision to move to a permanent showground was pretty revolutionary.
“It is the role of this show to demonstrate the best of what Norfolk produces.”
On his tour of the show, he ventured into the Discovery Zone where he spoke to youngsters who were learning farming and healthy living at the Over the Farmers Hedge tent.
India Edwards, nine, of Mundesley Junior School, said the Earl stopped to ask if they were enjoying their day.
She said: “He asked if imported or local food was better and was really friendly.”
And Christopher Nix, show steward, said the visit had been a success. He said: “Lots of people are very pleased to see him.
The Earl stopped to speak to delegates from Norfolk Young Farmers who told him about their experiences of completing the Duke of Edinburgh award.
Rebecca Sowinski, 27, of the Wymondham branch has completed her gold award.
She said: “He was interested that we both still help other people complete the award.
“He was very friendly and laughed at one of my jokes.”
Did you see The Earl of Wessex at the show? Tweet your pictures to @EDP24