May 23 2015 Latest news:
Monday, May 5, 2014
A young boy saved from drowning by a swimming pool lifeguard has been discharged from hospital.
The lifeguard had leapt into action after the boy, aged nine, got into difficulty in the on-site swimming pool at a Norfolk holiday park.
It is understood he was discharged from the James Paget University Hospital in Gorleston at around 11pm last night, after being kept in for several hours for observation due to the risk of secondary drowning - after ingesting water.
Emergency services, including the air ambulance, had been scrambled to Summerfields Holiday Park in Scratby after the alarm was raised by staff just before 2.30pm yesterday.
The boy was part of a large group of youngsters staying at the park, owned by holiday firm Richardson’s, that were competing in local rugby and football tournaments.
He got into difficulty after ingesting some water.
The lifeguard quickly spotted him and leapt to his aid, pulling him from the water.
The youngster was conscious when he was pulled from the pool but staff administered chest compressions to clear the water from his airways before paramedics arrived.
John Foreman, customer service and team development champion for Richardson’s, said the youngster was “going down” when he was spotted by the lifeguard. “A child in the pool got into difficulties and one of the lifeguards went in to get him,” he said.
“We have got an alarm system in the pool, he pushed the alarm and the duty manager came along. They rang for an ambulance and the air ambulance turned up.”
After the alarm was pushed all swimmers were asked to leave the pool.
The boy’s younger brother, aged eight, was also tended to by staff and emergency teams as he had also ingested water, but did not need rescuing.
The pair were assessed by paramedics at the scene and taken by land ambulance to the James Paget University Hospital in Gorleston.
Both were said to be recovering well following the incident, and Mr Foreman said the family had returned home from the holiday park this morning.
Mr Foreman praised the lifeguard, who has returned to the park for his second season, and other staff who responded to the alarm, and said parents who witnessed the drama had also applauded their quick actions. “It was the lifeguard’s first major incident so we’re quite happy that he got the lad out and did everything correctly,” he added. “It’s looking like he will get a commendation from our CEO.”
Mr Foreman said the incident would be investigated internally.
Richardson’s owns two further holiday parks at Hemsby, as well as a boat yard in Stalham.
Do you know someone who has saved a life? Email firstname.lastname@example.org