Two adults and two children were taken to hospital earlier tonight after getting cut off by the high tide in dark and freezing conditions, just west of East Runton.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

The four, all believed to be from East Runton, had scrambled 20m up the cliffs to get a signal so that they could ring and raise the alarm, and they are thought to have been stuck there, waiting for help, for more than an hour.

Coastguard teams from Cromer, Sheringham, Mundesley and Happisburgh joined the search and the Cromer inshore lifeboat was launched just before 9pm.

“The lifeboat was able to beach and as the tide began to fall, assist the two women and two children down to the beach and indicate the location to the coastguards,” said Peter Stibbons, Cromer lifeboat spokesman.

“They were able to give some protection from the cold by the use of some of their own kit and, with the tide beginning to fall back, one crew member began to escort them along the beach until met by coastguards.

“It appears that the four had attempted to walk home from West to East Runton when one of the youngsters found herself trapped in soft sand from which she was pulled by one of the adults.

By this time it was approaching high water and it was not possible for them to go further or return to West Runton.”

One of the party was taken back along the beach on a stretcher. The other three walked. The man they had rung for help, who then alerted the coastguards, had gone with his dog to try and find them. He was also helped from the beach by the coastguards.

The four who had been stranded were checked over in a waiting ambulance on Water Lane, West Runton, and then taken to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital.

1 comment

  • Unbelievable stupidity. And why were 'youngsters' still out at this time?

    Report this comment


    Monday, January 14, 2013





Classifieds, browse or search them online now

The Canary magazine
Order your copy of The Canary magazine