December 9 2013 Latest news:
Sunday, July 22, 2012
Firefighters spent three hours tackling a blaze involving a fish and chip shop in Harleston town centre.
Five crews were called to Monty’s Fish and Chips at just before 6.30pm last night as a result of a fire involving the frying range.
Appliances from Harleston, Diss, Bungay, Stradbroke and two from Great Yarmouth attended and an aerial ladder was also used.
The fire in Redenhall Road resulted in the closure of the road just off Harleston town centre.
No injuries were reported.
The traditional fish and chip shop in Harleston has been operated by Monty Norman for more than 50 years.
Station manager Duncan Ashworth, of Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service, said crews had to use foam extinguishers and dry powder to tackle the chip fat fire and had to cut away part of the wall to get to a smouldering wooden beam. The aerial ladder was used to pour water down the chimney.
“There was lots of smoke and accommodation above the chip shop. It was a good stop because there was a danger of it spreading,” he said.
See Monday’s EDP for a full report.