Update: Youth arrested on suspicion of Hemsby murder released on bail
PUBLISHED: 19:53 14 May 2014 | UPDATED: 19:53 14 May 2014
A 15 year old boy arrested on suspicion of murder has this evening been released on police bail.
A warrant of further detention was today granted by magistrates in respect of a 17 year old male and he remains in police custody, where he awaits further questioning.
They are two of six male youths arrested on suspicion of murder in relation to the fatal stabbing of 20 year old Connor Barrett in Hemsby on Saturday.
Police today made two further arrests in the murder investigation. This afternoon, a 41 year old man and 35 year old woman were arrested by detectives at an address in Cobholm, near Yarmouth, on suspicion of assisting an offender. They have been taken to Great Yarmouth Police Investigation Centre for questioning and remain in custody.
It brings to eight the number of people arrested so far in connection with the enquiry being led by the joint Norfolk and Suffolk investigation team.
Four others, aged 15, 16, 17 and 18, also arrested on suspicion of murder, have since been released on police bail. All are from the Yarmouth area.
Connor died after being stabbed at a private party in Hemsby on Saturday night.
Earlier today, the detective leading the investigation asked people with information to “search their conscience, do the right thing and come forward”.
Detective Chief Inspector Paul Durham, leading the investigation into the death of Connor Barrett in Hemsby, today described the public response so far as ‘encouraging’.
Police continue to identify and interview people who were at a house party in The Glebe, in Hemsby, on Saturday night where Mr Barrett, of Abyssinia Road, Yarmouth, was fatally stabbed.
Three teenagers, two aged 15 and 17-year-old, all from the Yarmouth area, arrested on suspicion of murder remain in custody.
Three other youths arrested on suspicion of murder have now been released on bail.
Detectives from the joint Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team (MIT) continue to carry out enquiries in Hemsby with the search for the murder weapon ongoing.
DCI Durham said: “We are well aware that this was a shocking incident for both the local community and the people who attended the party and it’s becoming more apparent, as we have identified and spoken to people, that Connor was a popular lad and people are genuinely appalled by what has happened to him.
“We’ve interviewed a number of people and the response so far has been encouraging.
“Nevertheless, I would urge anyone who still has information to give to search their conscience, do the right thing and come forward.”
Mr Barrett’s father Lee has thanked people for their kind words about his son, a former Great Yarmouth High School student who was the father of a three-year-old boy.
He said: “The tragic loss of my son Connor has left myself and the whole family utterly devastated and also a beautiful child fatherless.
“Connor was a loving, caring young man and a wonderful father who doted on his son.
“Knowing Connor was loved by so many and touched so many lives has made me extremely proud and grateful to have been a part of my son’s short but full life.”
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team in Norfolk on 101 or, alternatively, pass information anonymously via the Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.