Update: Second fall tragedy at Norwich’s Castle Mall
PUBLISHED: 09:21 07 March 2014 | UPDATED: 16:55 12 March 2014
A busy city-centre shopping mall is reeling from a second tragedy within a year after another man fell to his death.
Paramedics battled to save the man, who was in his 30s, after he fell from a height to the ground floor of the shopping centre last night, but he was pronounced dead at the scene.
A large part of the mall was cordoned off throughout the rest of the evening as police erected a tent to cover the scene, and investigated what happened.
The tragedy, which happened shortly after 5.30pm yesterday, shocked shoppers and staff, who recalled last May’s death of 25-year-old Matthew Dunham, who also fell to the ground floor.
Police are not treating the death as suspicious.
Emergency services were called at approximately 5.40pm to reports a man had been found with serious injuries close to the lifts outside the Argos store on the ground floor.
Police have said it is believed the man had fallen from a height.
Despite the efforts of paramedics, he was pronounced dead at the scene a short while later.
Officers are not looking for anyone else in connection with the death and the police seal at the scene was lifted last night.
Her Majesty’s Coroner will be informed and an inquest opened in due course.
Police said next of kin are in the process of being informed and added that no further information relating to the male will be released at this time.
All levels of the mall near the incident, close to Timber Hill, were closed for much of the evening to allow emergency services access.
The shopping centre is open today.
A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service said: “We were called at 5.37pm to reports of a man in cardiac arrest dispatching a rapid response vehicle, ambulance and paramedic officer to the scene. Despite the best efforts of our crews the man was sadly pronounced dead at the scene.”
A spokesman for Castle Mall said: “We are liaising closely with Norfolk Police and assisting with their enquiries. Our thoughts are with the friends and family concerned at this very sad time.”
The death is the second tragedy to have occured at the Castle Mall in less than a year. On May 9 last year, 25-year-old Mr Dunham died after jumping from a floor of the shopping centre.
Coroner William Armstrong later ruled that Mr Dunham intended to kill himself, but added that it was while suffering from a mental disorder and while in receipt of mental health services.
Mr Armstrong criticised the Norfolk and Waveney Mental Health Trust for “fundamental deficiencies” in the way it treated Mr Dunham.
• If you have feelings of anxiety and need help, contact the Samaritans on 08457 90 90 90