July 8 2015 Latest news:
Friday, May 16, 2014
A 17-year-old male charged with the Hemsby murder of Connor Barrett has appeared in court.
The 20-year-old, from Abyssinia Close, Great Yarmouth, died as a result of a fatal stab wound inflicted at a private party held at Hemsby, near Yarmouth on Saturday, May 10.
The youth, who is also from Yarmouth but cannot be named for legal reasons, appeared this morning at Norwich Magistrates Court, which reverted to a youth court for the hearing.
Dressed in a blue shirt, the youth, whose father was sat in front of the dock, spoke only to confirm his name and details.
District Judge Peter Veits said it was a case which could only be dealt with at the crown court.
He formally sent the matter to Norwich Crown Court and remanded the defendant into youth detention until the next hearing on Monday.
The short hearing was also attended by the mother of the victim’s child who wept as the defendant entered the dock.
Eight other friends of Mr Barrett who had attended to watch proceedings were told to leave.
The investigation into Mr Barrett’s death, led by the joint Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team (MIT), continues.
Seven other people arrested in connection with the investigation remain on police bail pending further inquiries.
They include a 41-year-old man and 35-year-old woman, who were arrested at an address in Cobholm, near Yarmouth, on suspicion of assisting an offender.
Five other youths, aged from 15 to 18, were arrested on suspicion of murder.
Mr Barrett died at the James Paget University Hospital (JPUH) in Gorleston following an incident at a home in The Glebe in Hemsby at about 11.25pm on May 10.
As previously reported Mr Barrett’s father Lee has thanked people for their support following his son’s death.
He said: “The tragic loss of my son Connor has left myself and the whole family utterly devastated and also a beautiful child fatherless.”