May 18 2013 Latest news:
Sunday, February 17, 2013
A man was rescued after a fire broke out at a home in Norwich’s Golden Triangle.
Fire crews from Earlham and Carrow went to the house fire in Bury Street, off Unthank Road, just after 3.15am today.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus rescued a man from the house and fought the flames using hose jets.
They had brought the fire under control within 30 minutes.
East of England Ambulance Service also went to the scene but the man who was rescued did not require hospital treatment.
Stuart Horth, Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service area manager and head of community safety, said the fire started in the kitchen and was a case of late night cooking.
He said: “It’s not unusual for house fires late at night to be caused by people cooking. Sixty per cent of all house fires start in the kitchen, and when people cook late at night they may already be tired or returning from an evening out, so the risks are even greater.
“People need to be aware of the risks. It is really important to have a working smoke alarm, I would strongly advise all householders to visit our website at www.norfolkfireservice.gov.uk for other fire safety advice in the home.”
• Were you the person who was rescued or did you witness the fire? Call reporter Dan Grimmer on 01603 772375 or email email@example.com