Search

Norwich Weather

Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 8°C

min temp: 5°C

Pug is in the doghouse after setting fire to owner’s home in Mulbarton

PUBLISHED: 07:00 05 January 2016 | UPDATED: 16:47 05 January 2016

Pugsly, the unpopular pug that set fire to his owner's house. PHOTO BY SIMON FINLAY

Pugsly, the unpopular pug that set fire to his owner's house. PHOTO BY SIMON FINLAY

ARCHANT NORFOLK

Pugsley is in the doghouse after setting fire to his owner’s home - twice.

Laura Gaunt now has other damaged stock after her dog Pugsley managed to set fire to her house causing smoke damage. PHOTO BY SIMON FINLAYLaura Gaunt now has other damaged stock after her dog Pugsley managed to set fire to her house causing smoke damage. PHOTO BY SIMON FINLAY

Laura Gaunt, 30, returned to her home in Mulbarton yesterday to find that the beloved family pet had set fire to her kitchen.

Seeing the smoke as she approached her house in Ryefield Road, Ms Gaunt looked through the window and saw the flames. She said: “I saw it and just thought, oh no, my house.”

She said: “Pugsley must have jumped up in the kitchen to get something off of the work surface, probably food, and turned on the electric hob which had a toaster and clothes nearby and the oven must have just went bang.

“The dog did it before about six weeks ago, but luckily the kitchen door was shut or it could have been worse, this time it was open and there was smoke everywhere. All of the walls are black.”
Fire crews, one from Carrow and another from Earlham, were called at around 2pm to reports of a kitchen fire.

Ms Gaunt told them that two of her pets, a cat and dog, were still in the house.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus extinguished the flames using hose reels and hand appliances before trying to clear the smoke. They also used a thermal imaging camera to check for hot spots. Emergency services were at the address for more than two hours.

Just 10 days after Christmas, Laura Gaunt is now having to redecorate her home, buy a new oven and some of the stock from her fashion business, Adore Boutique X, has been damaged by the smoke.

She added: “I will have to get someone in as soon as possible to put everything back to how it was, but it’s ok, I’m just glad no one was in the house, that is all that matters, we were very lucky.”

The animals were not hurt during the fire, although Pugsley may have landed himself in hot water for the foreseeable future.

“He is not in my good books, that is for sure,” she said.

- If you have a news story, email jemma.walker@archant.co.uk or call 01603 772531

8 comments

  • I find it hard to believe such a small dog could make it onto the worktop and then to turn the cooker on....what kind of business woman would have her stock in the kitchen.....If my dog did this I would ensure the cooker was always turned of at the wall when not in use...smells a bit fishy to me

    Report this comment

    localgirl

    Tuesday, January 5, 2016

  • " ..I would be happy to contribute to a fund to help in redecoration etc and replacement goods. .". What a joker you are John . See if you can get Jenkins , michaelfane and the rest of the gang to join you.

    Report this comment

    Larson Whipsnade

    Tuesday, January 5, 2016

  • Yup let's have comments on this and not on why East Anglia's police are ineffective in stopping the huge losses of lead from roofs-despite changes to the law governing scrap scales-and ineffective in dealing with the people behind these thefts and blowing up ATMS etc. Perhaps they are too busy being mob handed raiding old boys properties.

    Report this comment

    Daisy Roots

    Tuesday, January 5, 2016

  • Amazing story of a beautiful dog and true heroine , I would be happy to contribute to a fund to help in redecoration etc and replacement goods.

    Report this comment

    blister

    Tuesday, January 5, 2016

  • Poor girl is having a right hard time of it. First she's all over social media saying someone had stollen her dresses stock and now she's in the paper holding the same kind of dress which got damaged due to a fire caused by her dog. Let hope bad luck doesn't come in threes hey.

    Report this comment

    Thing

    Tuesday, January 5, 2016

  • Surely if this had happened previously you would ensure it never happened again? Thankfully no-one was hurt though. Clothes and furniture can be replaced but not people or pets. Doesn't look like a Pug though-is he a Pug cross-breed-they seem to be very popular at the moment.

    Report this comment

    Kerryowner

    Tuesday, January 5, 2016

  • Perhaps in future don't leave food on the worktop and switch appliances off at the wall. Poor Pugsley he looks so sweet and innocent!

    Report this comment

    Lynda

    Tuesday, January 5, 2016

  • Errrrm.........Such a clever little dog maybe if you could teach it the concept of time it could maybe prepare a little tea put the veg on stick a pie in(guess you would have to peel the veg and prepare the pie?.....,maybe not after all such a clever little dog!)

    Report this comment

    NR1`EY

    Tuesday, January 5, 2016

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most Commented

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists