Photo Gallery: A look back at our archive with a tribute to our local landmarks and interesting buildings over the years
08:00 02 December 2012
This week’s archive spread features landmarks and interesting buildings in and around our region.
Fritton Round House – the photo is undated - with a young visitor in the foreground, is the subject of our first photo (1).
Next is an undated shot of the windmill at Thorpeness which used to pump water to the tank at the top of the building now known as the House in the Clouds (2).
An elderly gentleman is pointing out the distances on the obelisk at Holt to our photographer in this picture from May 1956 (3).
The Cross at Drayton, in our photo dated 1960, on the outskirts of Norwich may have once borne an inscription in French (4).
Reffley Temple near Gaywood, King’s Lynn, meeting place for centuries of the Reffley Society, was still a pretty spot when this photo was taken in 1964 (5).
Occold clock tower was built in 1804 and came originally from Haveringland Hall. It was one of two and was in use at the time of the photo – April 1971 – on Mr Last’s Cedars Farms (6).
Of the many water towers in our region I have chosen a photo of Appleton water tower on the Sandringham estate, photographed in February 1977 (7).
Guist village clock tower marks the time in this shot from 1985 (8).
Hardley Cross, standing on the banks of the River Yare beside the entrance to the River Chet, marks the jurisdiction of the city of Norwich. The photo dates from 1986 (9).
Another cross, this one dating from the 15th century, at Hellesdon marks the spot where the King’s Way crossed the Norwich city boundary (10).
If you recognise anyone in the pictures or would like to tell us more about them then you can email email@example.com
To get a copy of one of our old photographs, visit www.edp24.co.uk/buyaphoto or telephone Diane Townsend on 01603 772449.