Photo gallery: Images of Norfolk Railway’s age of steam published for the first time
PUBLISHED: 12:58 05 March 2014 | UPDATED: 12:58 05 March 2014
They were smelly. They were noisy. They were beautiful – and they were magical. The Iron Horse changed our lives and the shape of Norwich and Norfolk.
Last weekend the annual show staged by members of the Norfolk Railway Society highlighted the wonderful story of how the trains, the tracks and the stations, which first arrived on May 1 1844, were built, developed and then, partly, destroyed.
Today we are proud to publish for the first time just some of the fantastic photographs taken in the city and county during the 1950s and early 60s by the late Roger Harrison, a long-time member of the society and a man who loved the railways with such a passion.
They were selected by Norfolk railway author and historian Richard Adderson and they paint a glorious picture on how our railways looked before all the changes came along and the steam turned into diesel and then electric.
Roger, who died in 2010, was a Norwich man. His father worked at one time for the Norwich Tramway Company and his brother for BR.
The Norfolk Railway Society, formed in 1955, has around 100 members, people of all ages and from all walks of life, brought together by a love of trains – not only in this county but across the world.
It is always looking for more members so click on www.norfolkrailwaysociety.org.uk to discover more.
DID YOU KNOW?
• The first electric train came to Norwich on April 8, 1987
• The £7m Crown Point rolling stock service complex at Trowse was opened on October 27 1982, It replaced the former Norfolk Railway/great Eastern/LNER/British Railway works and serving complex. Today is known as Riverside.
• When we think of remote stations Berney Arms halt springs to mind – but another station in Thetford Forest was one equally isolated.
• Just over the border in Suffolk, on the main line between Diss and Stowmarket, there is an unusual length of railway. From a point about one mile north of the village of Mellis, the railway is dead straight for around eight miles.