A decision on whether to expand a Norwich health centre could depend on plans to rebuild the city’s only accident and emergency department.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Health chiefs yesterday gave their backing to the Timberhill walk-in centre and reassured patients that its future was not at risk.

But decisions over whether to expand the centre or build another facility may hinge upon a possible redesign of the A&E department at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital.

The A&E revamp and walk-in centre decisions could have a significant impact on Operation Domino, the project aimed at raising A&E performance by improving all aspects of emergency care.

A meeting of NHS Norwich Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), the new GP-led body responsible for city healthcare, heard that the effect of Operation Domino was now being seen in shorter times for ambulance handovers and A&E waits.

Outlining the next phase of the project, chief executive Jonathon Fagge said a senior manager would be appointed to work with a development group to finalise Operation Domino’s approach for winter 2013-14, by the end of July.

Early plans for the A&E redesign at the N&N are expected in June.

He said the winter had been “difficult” but the system had emerged “working really quite well”. “The work we have done over the last four or five months is having a positive effect, without wanting to say the problem has been fixed,” he added.

The future of the Timberhill walk-in centre could also be affected by the changes, as Operation Domino looks at easing the pressure on A&E.

An assessment was made of five possible outcomes when the centre’s commissioning contract runs out in 2014 – including closing the centre, which the report’s author said was included only “for completeness”.

Mr Fagge moved to allay fears over closure and said: “With 78,000 patients a year, clearly it’s not a question of ‘Do we keep it open?’ – it’s a question of ‘What is its role in the future?’”

But chairman Dr Chris Price said that changing the balance of services between A&E and the walk-in centre could be a solution.

“Maybe the way forward is recognise where people go and where they like going, and adapt the services we offer on these sites,” he said.

“We have to look at how we provide that rather than telling them they have gone to the wrong place.”

But Dr Cath Robinson warned against offering extra diagnostic services, which could further confuse patients as to where they should go.

“You immediately create risks by needing transfer from there to an acute general hospital,” she said.

Members of the public also spoke in support of the centre, with one 80-year-old woman explaining she valued the “peace of mind” it offers.

4 comments

  • I say Rolf old fruity, how do these walking folk get past the blockade of ambulances parked-up waiting to handover?

    Report this comment

    Mr Cameron Isaliar

    Wednesday, May 29, 2013

  • The Norfolk and Norwich Hospital A&E is treated as a walk in centre by 99% of the people who turn up there.

    Report this comment

    Rolf

    Wednesday, May 29, 2013

  • At last - the penny has finally dropped. The A&E is too small. It always was, as was the rest of the hospital.

    Report this comment

    BG

    Sunday, June 2, 2013

  • Drive-in centre with a McDonalds attached please.

    Report this comment

    nrg

    Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Homes24
Jobs24
Drive24
MyDate24
MyPhotos24
FamilyNotices24
Weddingsite

loading...

Classifieds, browse or search them online now

The Canary magazine
Order your copy of The Canary magazine

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT