Legal battle looms over Norwich traffic shake-up

Chapel Field North, which is at the centre of a legal challenge. Chapel Field North, which is at the centre of a legal challenge.

Dan Grimmer dan.grimmer@archant.co.uk
Thursday, January 2, 2014
8:00 AM

Campaigners protesting over the way Norwich City Council reached decisions which would see a shake-up of how traffic uses the city centre will have to convince a judge to investigate.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Members of the Chapelfield Action Group had hoped a High Court judge would allow a judicial review of the council’s decision to make Chapel Field North two-way in an attempt to improve bus journey times.

That proposal is part of a £1.45m city centre traffic plan and would see the removal of a pavement on the south side of Chapel Field North closest to Chapelfield Gardens.

The proposal would also see St Stephens Street and part of Surrey Street closed to traffic, with transport bosses saying it will speed up bus times and ease congestion. The proposals would also see a bus lane introduced in Grapes Hill.

The Norwich Highways Agency Committee approved the plans in March last year.

But the campaign group launched legal action challenging the decision, arguing the consultation period was inadequate, they were not aware of the proposed changes to traffic and the evidence supporting the plans was inadequate.

While the group said it was in favour of much of the plan, it was not happy with elements which “adversely affect” the city centre in Chapel Field North, Grapes Hill and Upper St Giles.

The start date of the scheme has been put on hold, pending the outcome of the legal challenge.

And it has emerged that the campaigners are next month due to come face to face with a High Court judge to convince them there should be a judicial review.

Joanne Deverick, transportation and network manager at Norwich City Council, said: “An initial ruling by a judge has said that the grounds for the judicial review are inarguable.

“However, the claimant has exercised his right to request an oral hearng to determine whether permission should, in fact, be granted.

“If permission is granted, then the claims will proceed to a substantive hearing. The oral hearing is due to take place in February and the council awaits the court’s decision before acting further on the proposals.”

• What do you think? Write, giving full contact details, to Letters Editor, Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich NR1 1RE.

20 comments

  • marty@ It was not a private company but owend by the City Council who solded out to the Eastern Counies Bus Co.And as normal thry coulnt wait to tear up the Tram Tracks

    Report this comment

    Albert Cooper

    Thursday, January 2, 2014

  • There is one very simple way to improve traffic flow in Norwich - ban all buses from within the inner link road ..... and it wouldn't cost the tax payer a penny!!

    Report this comment

    Norfolk John

    Friday, January 3, 2014

  • Stop wasting money ,, which council claim they never have ? And spend it on existing roads verges which are becoming a disgrace . The verges on the avenues are non existent and the council continue to say they have no money to repair !!!!

    Report this comment

    Norwich

    Friday, January 3, 2014

  • Norwich has been planned to bits since the Buchanan plan for a ring and loop service, after they demolished the trams everyone loved. Agree with Albert, the emperor wears no cloth and peak oil has been and gone.

    Report this comment

    ingo wagenknecht

    Thursday, January 2, 2014

  • biggy? ain't ya heard of the Jolly Butchers or the Jacquard? Albert is a Norwich legend.

    Report this comment

    oldowl

    Saturday, January 4, 2014

  • Albert, I can only assume you are getting back handed payment from the council for churning out such rubbish, the council always backs the bus companies because they have no other idea's of thier own, so they mess around with the roads to let busses to do what they like because it's easy for them. This city needs better planner not idiots who will ruin the city as they are now. Most right minded people don't go there unless they have to, and if this and other hair brain schemes continue less people will go into the city, it will become a graveyard. I assume thats what you want. I'd prefere to see busses out of the centre, make better use of the bus station and open up some of the roads which have been closed, get rid of most of the traffic lights as they are only there to stop cars which is what causes the problems. Better road management, not more of the same.

    Report this comment

    parkeg1

    Thursday, January 2, 2014

  • I think you got that slightly wrong, Albert - don't you mean BUS station?

    Report this comment

    biglingers

    Thursday, January 2, 2014

  • NO Cars in th city centre area,only Public Transport,and essetial service vechicles ! Job Done !!

    Report this comment

    Albert Cooper

    Thursday, January 2, 2014

  • The city centre appears to be dying now, big names wanting to move out, betting shops moving in... Why, oh why, are we spending all this money in pandering to the bus company when most of us are not, and never will be, bus customers? Cars are the life blood of the county - remove them at your peril!

    Report this comment

    marty r

    Thursday, January 2, 2014

  • What a fool you are Albert. No one able to travel to work or shop in the city other than on foot or by bus!? Get real. This is a rural county. And the city depends upon the county.

    Report this comment

    DT

    Thursday, January 2, 2014

  • parkeg@ You fool can,t you see that the motor car has destroyed and will destroy Norwich.It will become impossible eventually for the the City to handle the ever increasing use of cars,trying to get into the City Centre and to park up ! There has been thousands of houses demolished already,so all you see is one grear car park which used to be called Norwich

    Report this comment

    Albert Cooper

    Thursday, January 2, 2014

  • Sorry Albert - your plan would kill the citycentre in an instant - the buses would still block the streets. Have you looked at Castle Meadow recently? More power to the opposition, and less to the council trying to ride roughshod over the people.

    Report this comment

    biglingers

    Thursday, January 2, 2014

  • Lets make Norwich one huge Car park so all can park their shiny adorations,to then walk around like zombies in searh of what has gone !

    Report this comment

    Albert Cooper

    Thursday, January 2, 2014

  • The trams were doomed because the private company that ran them didn't reinvest during the good times and the corporation was presented with potentially a huge liability, which unsurprisingly, ratepayers rejected in a vote. Predatory bus co buys it up and , voila, it's gone. Supertrams would be nice but, sadly, those proposed were all cancelled byNuLabour. It's ironic that those schemes that have prospered (Sheffield, Nottingham, Croydon etc) were all authorised under the previous Tory(!!) administration

    Report this comment

    marty r

    Thursday, January 2, 2014

  • Albert you fool if you condem the city to just busses you will condem the city, there has to be more done to intergrate the transport in our city, that includes private vehicles. The council has for years created most of any hold ups by years of poor road management, it stops traffic moving when ever it can to create traffic congestion. It's idea is if it make it difficult to drive in and out of our city people will use public transport, what a stupid thing to do when the public transport is poor and over priced. these latest changes are just a small part of the councils plan and it will ruin our city. This council are acting like dicators not service providers.

    Report this comment

    parkeg1

    Thursday, January 2, 2014

  • You can protest all you like, but once the Council makes its mind up, that's it. No doubt a few back handers about

    Report this comment

    Derek McDonald

    Thursday, January 2, 2014

  • Albert - how to kill the citycentre in one easy lesson - well done! More power to the opposition - anyone who can bring Norwich city council to book deserves support! Noticed the buses on Castle Meadow recently - they still cause congestion! Incidentally, I don't drive!

    Report this comment

    biglingers

    Thursday, January 2, 2014

  • check out Youtube if you wanna

    Report this comment

    oldowl

    Saturday, January 4, 2014

  • Oldowl - please enlighten us - exactly what? Interested to see there is a broken down bus BLOCKING St Stephens!!

    Report this comment

    biglingers

    Friday, January 3, 2014

  • Albert is entitled to his views and should not be abused - he's done more for this City than you lot ever will. Anyway, he's probably right because oil is finite and we will have to have expensive electric vehicles and public transport will be the answer for most.

    Report this comment

    oldowl

    Friday, January 3, 2014

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Homes24
Jobs24
Drive24
MyDate24
MyPhotos24
FamilyNotices24
Weddingsite

loading...

Classifieds, browse or search them online now

The Canary magazine
Order your copy of The Canary magazine

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT