May 5 2015 Latest news:
Peter Walsh, Crime correspondent
Tuesday, March 11, 2014
A leading child abuse lawyer is fighting to get compensation for alleged Norfolk victims of the Jimmy Savile sex abuse scandal from the former Top of the Pops presenter’s estate, it has emerged.
Alan Collins, who has acted in a number of high profile cases, including the Haut de la Garenne abuse scandal in Jersey, said he is currently acting on behalf of “three or four” alleged Norfolk victims of Jimmy Savile who are seeking civil compensation against his estate.
Mr Collins, who is representing a total of 132 alleged victims of Savile from across the country, said: “All I can say is we represent victims in East Anglia, including Norfolk who are all bringing claims against Savile’s estate.
“These are all people who were allegedly abused by Savile when they were children or young adults.”
Mr Collins, a director for the Association of Child Abuse Lawyers (ACAL) who qualified as a solicitor in 1990 and joined law firm Pannone, part of Slater & Gordon, in March 2012, said proceedings are going through the High Court and he hopes matters will be resolved “within a year”.
He said: “It’s been going on for a long time now and obviously everyone hopes it will be wrapped up sooner rather than later, particularly for the victims.”
The scandal exploded after an ITV Exposure documentary ‘The Other Side of Jimmy Savile’ was aired on October 3 2012.
A police report into allegations of sexual assault by the former Jim’ll Fix It and Top of the Pops presenter, who died in 2011, found Savile was a “prolific, predatory sex offender” who abused more than 200 people over a 60-year period.
The investigation into Savile and others, codenamed Operation Yewtree, has to date resulted in police recording more than 200 offences relating to Savile, including 34 rapes, against victims as young as eight.
While compensation could not erase the memory of what happened to the alleged victims Mr Collins said it would provide “some kind of recognition which is what they deserve”.
Mr Collins has also represented ex-pupils of the St George’s School in Wicklewood near Wymondham who were victims of former head Derek Slade who was jailed for 21 years at Ipswich Crown Court in 2010 after being convicted of abusing 12 pupils over a five-year period in the late 1970s and early 1980s at the school in Wicklewood, which relocated to Great Finborough in 1980.
As previously reported police in Norfolk revealed they received three calls in relation to the Savile sex abuse scandal.
Two of the calls related to alleged incidents in Norwich and details have been passed on to the Met Police who are investigating the late DJ and television presenter as part of Operation Yewtree.
Both Norfolk calls involving Savile are believed to relate to incidents in Norwich, a city which he has visited regularly over the years.
Have you got a crime story? Call crime reporter Peter Walsh on 01603 772436 or email email@example.com