Kitten almost killed after being shot in Filby
11:11 04 August 2014
An eight month old kitten was almost killed when she was shot with an air rifle in Filby.
Tippy, who belongs to Linda and Hugh Davies of Thrigby Road, is now on the road to recovery but came close to death after she was injured somewhere close to home.
The Tonkinese kitten underwent emergency surgery at a specialist vets practice in Cambridge - and surprised everyone when she made it through.
Speaking out in the hope whoever is responsible might be found, Hugh said they realised something was wrong when Tippy came home mid-morning on July 18 and was bleeding from her side.
“She jumped on the bed and was quite lethargic,” he said. “I’m not sure how she made it home because she must have been in pain.
Village struck by another pet poisoning
A Bradwell pet owner is urging others to be on their guard after her beloved cat was poisoned by antifreeze and had to be put down.
Steph Weller, from Elm Avenue, was distraught after vets said there was nothing they could do for her cherished pet Narla, after the four-legged friend became unwell on Sunday.
The 27-year-old said she came home from work to find her five-year-old pet, that she had raised since she was a kitten, could not walk properly.
“She couldn’t walk very well and she was shaking. I took her to the vets and they did a blood test and they said it was antifreeze poisoning, and there’s nothing you can do,” Steph added.
“The only thing we could do was put her to sleep.
“It was upsetting of course because she was only young, it wasn’t really her time.”
Steph fears someone maybe using antifreeze deliberately to hurt cats in Bradwell, and is now warning other pet owners to keep an eye out for symptoms of poisoning.
She said: “The vet said it happened a couple of weeks ago [to another cat]. It was the last thing we expected really because Bradwell is quite a quiet area.”
The village has been struck by similar incidents of cat poisoning in recent years, and one family has even called for tighter regulation of antifreeze after their treasured pet swallowed some in 2013.
Natasha Castell said at the time she did not know if her cat Tobias had been poisoned deliberately or had lapped up some of the sweet-smelling liquid by accident.
Tobias’ story came after another Bradwell family lost their precious pet to antifreeze poisoning in 2011. The Gibbs family were also told by vets their cat Simba would have to be put down after drinking the substance.
“When we noticed she was bleeding, I had a look and could see a hole like a shot hole in her side. We thought she might have jumped down in the garden and got a stick in her side.
“At the vet, an x-ray showed she had a pellet still inside her. She had been shot with what we presume was an air rifle.
“Because it was soft tissue, they recommended we went to Dick White Referrals in Newmarket, which we’d actually been to before, so we got in the car and took her straight away.”
By that stage Tippy was really quite poorly. “They told us it was a 50/50 chance,” explained Hugh. “Where the shot was causes an infection very quickly so they could not wait, they had to operate. The pellet had just missed the liver and kidney, gone through the colon, nicked the pancreas and lodged near the stomach.”
Praising the vets, the family said they had been “wonderful”, calling every morning and night to let them know how Tippy was coping. After several days, the kitten came home and is now recovering slowly.
She remains on strict cage rest and it will be some weeks before she is allowed back outside. It is not known when Tippy was shot - or where.
“The police asked if we’d heard of anything similar happening locally and I couldn’t think of anything at the time,” said Hugh.
“But we later remembered finding a sparrowhawk in the front garden last year.
“It wasn’t able to fly so we manage to catch it and it was later released in Winterton, but it had been shot with an air gun pellet too.”
Anyone with information on an air gun being shot in Filby is asked to call police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111, quoting reference CR37110-14-5.
Has your pet been the victim of an airgun attack? Email firstname.lastname@example.org