Inquest opened into death of man who died at Castle Mall in Norwich
PUBLISHED: 16:49 12 March 2014 | UPDATED: 16:55 12 March 2014
An inquest has been opened today into the death of a man who fell to his death at a city shopping centre.
Emergency services were called to Castle Mall on Thursday, but could not save Luther Benjamin Hughes.
An inquest into the death of Mr Hughes, 39, from Music House Lane, Norwich, was opened today by Assistant Coroner David Osborne and heard that he died from multiple injuries following a fall from an upper balcony at the shopping centre.
The inquest was adjourned until April 9 when a review will be held.
Flowers and a number of cards have been left close to the lifts near Argos on the ground floor of the Mall with one reading “To my beautiful little brother Benny Boy. At last your at peace” while another said: “My little brother Ben, you are gone but never forgotten”
Another card left at the scene said: “To our Uncle Ben, may you be at peace now. We will miss you so much”.
It is understood Mr Hughes was known to Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust.
He fell from a height to the ground floor of the shopping centre and was pronounced dead at the scene early on Thursday evening.
The death happened less than a year after Matthew Dunham, 25, died at Castle Mall after he jumped from the fifth floor of the shopping centre at about 7.20pm on May 9 last year
At the inquest into Mr Dunham’s death, held in September last year, then coroner William Armstrong criticised the Norfolk and Waveney Mental Health Trust for the “fundamental deficiencies” in the way the Norfolk and Waveney Mental Health Trust had treated Mr Dunham.
If you have feelings of anxiety and need help, contact the Samaritans on 08457 90 90 90.
Would you like to pay tribute to Mr Hughes? Call reporter Peter Walsh on 01603 772436 or email firstname.lastname@example.org