December 20 2014 Latest news:
Tuesday, February 25, 2014
The Holkham Country Fair will not be going ahead this year following a U-turn over plans to run the event annually.
The fair, which attracts about 20,000 visitors and is one of the biggest events of its kind in Norfolk, has traditionally been run every two years.
Events consultancy company Reid and Reid was brought in to run last year’s fair and it was announced, in the build-up, that the agricultural spectacle would be run annually for the first time in its history.
A change of heart, however, means the Holkham Country Fair is due to next take place in July 2015.
David Horton-Fawkes, estate director for Holkham, said: “We have reviewed the situation and talked to the organisers about how they planned to do it.
“We had concerns that it might not be viable to run the fair every year, at this stage, as we are not sure that there is the demand for it to run annually at the moment.”
The Holkham Country Fair has been running for more than 30 years and attracts visitors from across Britain to the Holkham Estate, near Wells.
The fair showcases some of the countryside’s best-loved traditions and previous highlights have included shows from The King’s Troop Royal Horse Artillery, freefall parachute displays, falconry demonstrations and JCB Dancing Diggers.
Mr Horton-Fawkes said: “We may, at some point, look at things again and see if the fair could be run annually in the future, but at the moment the Holkham Country Fair will go back to being run every other year, which is how it always has been.”
Mr Horton-Fawkes said the Holkham Estate was still working with Reid and Reid and he expected the company to organise next year’s fair.
Do you have a news story for the EDP? Email email@example.com