Historic barge and wherry set to revisit Norwich mills
PUBLISHED: 11:43 12 August 2014 | UPDATED: 13:16 13 August 2014
Â© Archant 2014
A 108-year-old barge has arrived in Norwich ready to make a historic journey back to the mill where it once delivered cargo.
The Thames Barge Cambria will be open to the public tomorrow opposite Read’s Mill on Corporation Way near Carrow Bridge.
It will be joined by the Albion, a wherry built on the shores of Lake Lothing in 1898 with sailed the broads for decades.
In their working lives, both ships carried cargo to and from Read’s Mill, which has now been converted to apartments, while the Cambria also delivered mustard seeds to Colman’s factory.
It was mainly involved in coastal trade between the River Thames, the Trent and Humber and regularly brought soya bean, fertiliser and grain to Norwich mills in the 1940s and 1950s.
Each year, it is chartered by SeaChange, a charity providing youth training for disadvantaged young people, who decided to re-establish Norwich’s links with the sea by bringing the barge up the River Yare into the city.
For more information, visit seachangesailingtrust.org.uk.