May 19 2013 Latest news:
Thursday, September 6, 2012
Suffolk’s highways boss has put a freeze on implementing new speed restriction zones in the county.
The team that dealt with routine requests for speed limit extensions has been disbanded because Guy McGregor, cabinet member for roads and transport, feels Suffolk already has the required number of speed restrictions in place.
He said requests for speed limit extensions would be logged, but unless there were exceptional circumstances, they would not receive immediate attention.
The move comes after figures in Suffolk County Council’s road casualty report for 2011 showed that 326 people had been killed or seriously injured on the county’s roads during 2011, a 10pc increase on the previous year.
Mr McGregor said: “Essentially, I believe we have enough speed restrictions in place. We are a very active highways authority and we have already put speed limits through all the villages in Suffolk.
“We have also introduced ‘20’s Plenty’ schemes outside village schools, so the vast bulk of motorists will be slowed down in those areas.”
He said he would only consider reviewing the situation if there was enough demand for new speed restrictions.