December 7 2013 Latest news:
Peter Walsh, Crime correspondent
Friday, September 13, 2013
The former Norfolk detective who led the investigation into the brutal murder of a mother and grandmother in her own home has described the man convicted of her death as a still being a “very dangerous man” after it emerged he attacked child killer Mark Bridger in prison.
Juvinai Ferreira, 22, who was told he must serve at least 22 years in prison before being considered for parole after being found guilty at Norwich Crown Court in 2009 of murdering Elaine Walpole in Dereham in 2008, pleaded guilty to wounding Bridger when he appeared at Leeds Crown Court via video-link.
Ferreira attacked the 47-year-old in Wakefield Prison after Bridger was sentenced to life in jail for murdering April Jones, five, in Wales last year.
No details of the attack were given in court but according to reports at the time of the attack, which happened on July 7, Bridger needed hospital treatment to a face wound after he was slashed with a makeshift knife.
Jes Fry, a former detective with the Joint Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team (MIT), was the senior investigating officer in the Elaine Walpole murder inquiry said he was “surprised” to learn Bridger had been attacked by Ferreira.
But Mr Fry, who was a detective inspector when he led the investigation into Elaine’s murder but who retired from the Norfolk force last year, said the attack showed how little Ferreira had changed despite his time spent in prison.
He said: “The thing about Ferreira that marks him out as different to a number of people I’ve come across is his complete coldness and disregard for the actions he had done and the impact on other people - just completely cold hearted and detached really.
“From the reports some of the comments he made to the judge show he doesn’t appear to have changed his attitude and show he remains a dangerous person and not someone ready to move back into society.
“Obviously his victim (Bridger) is very high profile. Whether he has taken it upon himself or had been coerced or tried to impress someone by doing it I don’t know but all I can really comment on was his attitude when he was dealt with in Norfolk and his attitude, as reported on in court, just shows a complete lack of humanity really - he remains a very dangerous man.”
Ferreira, who is originally from Gambia, will next appear at the court for sentencing on October 2 after Judge Christopher Batty told him he needed a pre-sentence report to assess his level of dangerousness and decide whether a second life term was appropriate.
Yesterday we reported how Elaine’s sister Jill Burrell, 48, who lives in Dereham, said she was “gobsmacked” to find out the man who brutally murdered her sister had carried out the attack but said they were “both monsters”.
Mrs Burrell hoped news of the attack would “let people see him for what he is” but said seeing Ferreira’s name in the news again brings the nightmare of what he did to her sister “all back”.
She said: “It sort of brings it all back for my dad and that. I phoned him up and told him. It’s not very nice. You think he’s been put away and he’s still doing what he’s doing. He should rot in hell but even that is too good for him.”
The body of 47-year-old Elaine was discovered in Dereham in April 2008. The post-mortem revealed three stab wounds to her head and neck and over fifty other injuries including a bite mark to her face.