December 5 2013 Latest news:
Thursday, September 19, 2013
A man who claims he was abused by a former BBC Radio Norfolk presenter confided in a worker at the Theatre Royal in Norwich a court has heard.
A theatre worker who who worked at the Norwich Theatre Royal in the early 1990s told the jury at Norwich Crown Court today that he struck up a “rapport” with a boy aged 15 or 16 he had seen looking at “paintings”.
He said he saw the boy on “several other occasions” at the theatre and after getting to know him revealed he was gay.
Andrew Shaw, prosecuting, said: “When you told him you were gay did he ever confide in you about anything.”
The witness , who told the court he had been sexually abused as a young boy, said the boy said nothing at that time but did however “confide” in him after he told the youth what had happened to him.
He said: “On one occasion he said something was happening to me, that he was being abused but would not tell me who it was.”
The theatre worker said he was told the abuse had been going on for about a year-and-a-half.
The court heard he gave the boy his phone number so he could ring if he needed someone to talk to.
Although the boy did not tell the witnesswho had been abusing him he suspected it might be Souter, who held the position of press consultant with the theatre at the time, providing media relations advice..
Mr Shaw said: “Did you say that at the time” to which the theatre worker replied “yes I did”.
The witness said: “He said how do you know, I said I don’t but you’ve just told me.”
Souter, 60, of Low Bungay Road, Loddon is on trial after denying 19 counts of historic sex abuse.
The charges relate to seven different boys, aged 11 to 16, and are said to have happened between 1979 and 1999.
The trial continues.