Fireworks show will go ahead at Earlham Park in Norwich despite cancellation of Sparks in the Park
PUBLISHED: 14:14 08 October 2013 | UPDATED: 15:51 08 October 2013
Sparks in the Park may have been cancelled but the show will go on at Earlham Park in Norwich next month.
Norwich City Council announced in January that, despite 16,000 people attending last November’s event, Sparks in the Park was being cancelled.
The council spent £101,000 putting on last year’s Sparks in the Park and, after ticket sales, broke even on the event. The council said it could only put the show on again if it increased ticket prices.
At the same time of the cancellation the council confirmed that it was planning a new free fireworks display from Norwich Castle instead, with the hope of renting out Earlham Park for a commercial display.
The council has got its wish, with The Earlham Park Bonfire and Fireworks Extravaganza now being advertised for Saturday, November 2.
The new city council event, which has been christened the Big Boom, will be held from 7.30pm on Friday, November 8.
Brenda Arthur, leader of the city council, said: “We’re pleased there’s still going to be a traditional show at Earlham Park. We very much want both events to succeed.
“We were also happy to see that the (online) poll the Evening News ran in January showed that 68pc of readers supported the council’s decision to have a free show in the city centre instead of the council-organised Sparks in the Park.
“The Earlham Park event was put out to tender and this money will help to pay for some of the costs of the free firework show in the city centre.
“The Big Boom fireworks will last for 12 minutes – five minutes longer than the hugely successful and very well received seven-minute firework display that we had for this year’s Lord Mayors Celebration.”
The new Earlham Park event is being organised by the Gray family, who first started the fireworks show in the park nearly 30 years ago.
The event will feature a funfair, food and live music, with gates opening from 4pm ahead of children’s fireworks at 6.30pm and the main display at 9pm.
It is being billed as a ‘strictly no alcohol’ event and tickets will be available on the gate at £7.50 for adults and £4.50 for under-14s. There are also advanced discounts, see the event’s Facebook page for details.
For photos of both Sparks in the Park 2012 and the Lord Mayor’s Celebrations 2013 fireworks from Norwich Castle, see the galleries at the top-right of this page.