January 28 2015 Latest news:
Monday, January 20, 2014
It might be ‘Blue Monday’, officially the most depressing day of the year, but we’ve compiled a list of reasons to be cheerful in the East:
1)Hindolveston VH @HindolvestonVH
It’s our village coffee shop here this morning - and there’s CAKE*! :) *home made of course
2) A dozen volunteer coastguards worked together for two hours this weekend to rescue 12-year old Gordon Setter Gemma when she got stuck in brambles on a cliff in Cromer.
3) The EDP Flood Appeal has now raised over £180,000, boosted by a £5,000 donation from Norwich City Football Club fans and the club on Saturday. More than a hundred people have been helped by the fund.
4) David Powles @David_Powles
Off to work on back of #ncfc win and #itfc loss #edp24 #en24 #reasonstobehappy @pollygrice
5) 93-year old Gladys Dunn has been awarded a Diamond Champion Certificate by the Duchesss of Cornwall. Every week, Mrs Dunn makes a 32-mile round bus trip to King’s Lynn to shop for a meal she cooks for ten of her neighbours at a sheltered housing complex in Weasenham St Peter.
6) “I am confident that Town’s little slip is only temporary and the charge towards promotion will be revived on Saturday when we beat Reading at Portman Road.
I am equally confident that Norwich’s slump towards inevitable relegation will resume in full force with defeat after defeat broken only by the occasion draw.” -David Lennard, Editor, Beccles and Bungay Journal
7) Spring has sprung (apparently). The Woodland Trust has recorded the earliest sightings of snowdrops, hazel tree and song thrush in Norfolk in more than a decade.
8) This time last year Norwich had one of the coldest winters on record, with temperatures reaching as low as -10 degrees. Temperatures today are expected to reach a high of 8 degrees. Tropical.
9) The Prime Minister is a fan of Norfolk. On a recent visit to Norwich, David Cameron revealed he’d love to see more of the Norfolk Broads and is trying to convince Mrs Cameron to pick Norfolk as their next holiday destination.
10) UEA scientists have carried out research which shows ingredients in wine and chocolate could reduce the risk of getting diabetes.
11) Russell Howard starts a four night run at the Norwich Playhouse tonight, trying out new material for his upcoming arena tour. Guaranteed to put a smile on your face.
12) This little piggy was found lost and alone in Old Catton but has now got a loving home at the Hillside Animal Sanctuary. http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/does_runaway_old_catton_piglet_belong_to_you_1_3206363
13) Huw Sayer @HuwSayer1h
We live in one of the safest, healthiest, most beautiful places on earth - let’s count our blessings
14) If all of that doesn’t cheer you up you can dance the Monday blues away . There’s a jive/tango fusion class in Carlton Colville, ballroom in Ditchingham and Scottish country dancing in Norwich.
Why are you cheerful this morning? Let me know @pollygrice #edp24