December 9 2013 Latest news:
Monday, November 4, 2013
A curious dog is recovering from serious burns after being electrocuted by a faulty lamp-post.
Claire Neighbour’s one-year-old husky, Riley, suffered burns to his front paws, nose and also internally after sniffing the misfiring light in Canterbury Way, Thetford.
Riley was out on his evening walk with Ms Neighbour’s son, Aaron, 18, on Saturday at around 9.30pm when the incident took place.
Ms Neighbour, of Lincoln Way, said the incident was a shock in more ways than one.
“He went up to the lamp-post to sniff it, as dogs do, and then he just curled up in a ball on the ground, screaming. Aaron didn’t know what was going on. He bent down to help him and Riley bit him twice on his finger, which he’s never done before,” she said.
While Riley writhed in pain on the floor, Aaron’s friend touched the lamp-post, getting a shock through his fingers.
Riley was rushed to Eastgate Vets in Bury St Edmunds where he was given painkillers, including morphine.
Ms Neighbour said the family then endured an anxious wait while Riley was monitored by vets.
He was taken home that night but the family returned to the vets in the morning.
“He wouldn’t stop crying, “ said Ms Neighbour.
“They kept him there all day and I can’t tell you how stressful it was.”
She said that Riley has been in pain ever since the electrocution and had been taking medication.
The incident has left the family with a bill for £75 to their insurance company to cover for Riley’s treatment.
Breckland Council, who manage the lamp-post, said they would be taking care of the problem.
A spokesman said: “We wish Riley a speedy recovery.
“The street lighting contractor has now isolated the electrical supply to the columns.
“The council has no record of the fault having been previously reported to us.
“However, we continue to work with the street lighting contractor to investigate the incident.”