Diner hit by insects falling from ceiling of Jamie Oliver’s Norwich restaurant
PUBLISHED: 12:03 24 July 2015 | UPDATED: 16:48 24 July 2015
Archant © 2012
A 48-year-old man has described the moment insects started falling out of the ceiling at Jamie Oliver’s restaurant in Norwich on Wednesday.
The diner, who asked not to be named, told The Mirror: “We got a table by the window and the food was nice but when we were halfway through the meal, maggots started falling on my head.
“I felt something on my head and found a maggot but I brushed it off at first and presumed it must have been a caterpillar that had fallen whilst walking to the restaurant.
“But then others fell onto the table. It was gross and we were shocked.
“It was like spaghetti, a salad for my friend and a side order of maggots.
“I called over a waitress and she said ‘oh my god’ then another landed whilst she was there and made her jump. In the end the manager came over and spoke to us and waived the bill and then we left.
“I was scratching my head for ages afterwards and I can’t be 100 percent sure I didn’t eat one.”
It is understood that an initial search of the area above the table and on the room above found no evidence of dead animals, so the restaurant think the problem could be woodworm.
A spokesman for Mr Oliver said: “Earlier this week a single, isolated pest control incident occurred at our Norwich restaurant.
“The incident in question was dealt with immediately and is being fully investigated. At no point was the customer’s food affected and there appears to be no evidence of a wider problem.
“All of our restaurants operate to a very high level of food safety and Jamie’s Italian Norwich retains a 5 star Food Hygiene Rating (the highest) from the local Environmental Health Office.
“Issues such as this are extremely rare within the JO Restaurant Group and are always treated immediately.”