May 28 2015 Latest news:
by DAN GRIMMER
Tuesday, January 10, 2012
An agreement has been reached which means the popular East Coast Truckers charity convoy can, once again, roll through Norfolk this year.
A question mark was hanging over the event, which has been running for more than a quarter of a century, and which last year saw trucks take more than 70 disabled and disadvantaged children to a special day out at Pleasurewood Hills.
The concern was that issues around ensuring the safety of the event could prevent the much-loved convoy from happening.
But discussions between Norfolk police, event organisers and council bosses, means issues around safety, compliance with legislation and insurance have been resolved, so this summer’s event will go ahead, with the number of trucks limited to 80.
The announcement follows a string of planning meetings held between organisers, police and other interested parties, chaired by Andrew Proctor, leader of Broadland District Council.
Organiser Rob Billman said he was delighted the event would run in its 27th year.
He said: “The East Coast Truckers are proud to organise an event which surely must be one of the most unusual and high-profile means of fundraising.
“We are grateful to the police and the district council for helping us to keep the event in the calendar.”
Norfolk police assistant chief constable Kevin Wilkins said: “Norfolk Constabulary has been supporting the annual charity convoy since it began 26 years ago.
“Our priority is to ensure the safety of all those involved - drivers, children and their carers and, of course, the hundreds of spectators who turn out to cheer on the truckers and their precious cargo.
“The East Coast Truckers have worked extremely hard over the years and their dedication to the cause of disadvantaged children is second to none.
“Along with Broadland District Council, we were pleased to assist the forward planning for this year’s event and we are delighted that arrangements are now in place for the children’s convoy to take place again this August.”
The annual convoy will take place on Sunday, August 26, taking in the usual route from Norwich to Pleasurewood Hills, between Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft, via the A47 and A12.
Under current legislation it is the organisers of public events who are responsible for public safety. District councils have safety advisory groups which offer help and guidance on how to do that, with police and other emergency services represented on those groups.
• Are you planning a fundraising event? Tell us about it by calling Dan Grimmer on 01603 772375 or email email@example.com