July 8 2015 Latest news:
Tuesday, July 22, 2014
The decision-making behind a deal which will see a share of Norfolk’s rubbish burned in an incinerator in Suffolk has come under fire.
An agreement struck between Norfolk County Council and Suffolk County Council will see 40,000 tonnes of Norfolk’s residual household waste – rubbish left after recycling - turned into electricity at Suffolk’s new incinerator at Great Blakenham.
Waste is expected to start being delivered to the plant in August, subject to government approval.
Council leaders have hailed the two-year deal, which they say will save both authorities around £1m.
But, at a meeting of Norfolk County Council yesterday, there was dissent over how the deal had been arrived at, with criticism councillors had not been given the chance to debate the contract.
Andrew Boswell, Green county councillor, asked why it did not come before the council’s environment, development and transport committee prior to the contract being signed.
He said: “This is not about whether this was the right or wrong decision, but about why it didn’t come before councillors. This should have come before a committee.”
Council leader George Nobbs said the decision had been made by the cabinet, under the previous council system, and powers had been delegated to Tom McCabe, the authority’s interim environment, transport and development, to take the decision in consultation with the council leader and Toby Coke, chairman of the environment, transport and development committee.
He said: “There is nothing untoward about this. It’s a superb deal for Norfolk. I don’t know what there is that anyone would possibly object to.”
• What do you think? Write, giving full contact details, to Letters Editor, Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich NR1 1RE.