April 21 2014 Latest news:
Tuesday, December 3, 2013
Norfolk’s campaign to end the suffering of victims and their children whose lives are made a misery by domestic abuse or sexual violence should be replicated across the country, a senior government figures has said.
Crime prevention minister Norman Baker said there should be more examples of local campaigns like the Norfolk Says No initiative, and police and crime commissioners should also play a role in combatting domestic abuse.
Dozens of people from a number of charities and agencies - all centred on domestic violence and representing those affected by it - have underlined the county’s commitment to protecting victims and survivors of domestic abuse and sexual violence and their children, as well as bringing perpetrators to justice.
Key agencies and individuals, including Norfolk’s police and crime commissioner, re-signed a letter of commitment last week which was first signed in 2009 and states “everyone deserves a life free from abuse”.
Liberal Democrat MP Mr Baker, who has recently taken up the post in the Home Office, was questioned on the issue by Norwich MP Chloe Smith, who asked if the Home Secretary was aware of the work done domestically and locally by the Norfolk Says No campaign against domestic abuse at a time when Britain was “showing strong leadership against sexual violence internationally”. Mr Baker replied: “I congratulate those who are involved in the Norfolk Says No campaign. We need more such examples of excellent local practice to ensure that our message reaches women in their daily lives, and police and crime commissioners have a role to play in the matter.” Have you got a story for the campaign? Email reporter email@example.com