Two men plead guilty to Norwich double stabbing
PUBLISHED: 12:39 29 April 2014 | UPDATED: 12:39 29 April 2014
Two men have been warned they face “lengthy jail sentences” after they admitted their part in a double stabbing in the city centre.
Police were called to Chestnut Court, off Cow Hill, at about 8.45pm on November 12 last year following reports that a couple had been injured inside a house.
Police arrived to find a 47-year-old man with wounds to his neck and head in an injury stretching from the throat to the jawbone and a 38-year-old woman with an injury to her neck.
It is believed the wounds were caused by a knife or broken bottle.
Andrew Moss and Donald Phillips, both 24, appeared at Norwich Crown Court yesterday where they both admitted wounding with intent and a lesser charge of unlawful wounding as their trial was due to start.
Andrew Shaw, prosecuting, said the pleas were “acceptable” to the crown and asked that another count of robbery lie on file.
Neither Moss, of Aspland Road, Norwich, nor Phillips, of Stewart Close, Tibenham, entered pleas to the robbery count.
Mr Shaw said an independent witness saw both defendants outside the property immediately before the offence breaking bottles which were used in the stabbing.
Paramedics attended and the couple were taken to the Norfolk and Norwich UniversityHospital for treatment. Both are now out of hospital.
Judge Nicholas Coleman adjourned sentence until June 30 but said he would have to assess their dangerousness and warned “these two defendants are plainly facing extended sentences”.
He said: “It goes without saying that you both face lengthy jail sentences.”
Moss, who wore a grey tracksuit, was remanded in custody while Phillips, who wore a dark stripy top, was granted conditional bail.