Norwich City bosses ‘pass evidence’ to police over racism allegations
17:22 11 August 2014
©Focus Images Limited www.focus-images.co.uk +447814 482222
Evidence relating to allegations of racism at a Norwich City match have been passed on to police, bosses at the club have confirmed.
Canary fans reported between two and five supporters in the lower tier of the Steve Bull Stand who were allegedly making monkey noises at Wolves players during the 1-0 Championship defeat yesterday.
In a statement posted online today, the club confirmed that they will hand over any evidence to West Midlands Police.
It read: “Norwich City can confirm the club has received a number of complaints from its supporters about an incident in the away end at Molineux during Sunday’s Sky Bet Championship match against Wolverhampton Wanderers.
“Following allegations of racist behaviour by two or three supporters, the club is passing our evidence on to police and asking them to investigate the matter further.
“In addition to and separate from the outcome of any police enquiries, the club will ban any supporters we are satisfied are guilty of racist behaviour from Carrow Road for life.”
The statement added that the club has a “zero-tolerance policy on racism”.
Steve Sutton, Wolves’ Facilities and Safey Mangaer, confirmed that the club had also received reports of an “isolated incidents” involving Norwich supporters.
He said: “Club officials will now be co-operating and working closely with their counterparts at Norwich, and the relevant authorities have been informed.
“As a club, we deplore racist behaviour and indeed any form of discrimination, and are grateful to those Norwich supporters who brought it to the stewards’ attention.”
Mr Sutton thanked supporters for highlighting the alleged behaviour and added that the perpetrators had been identified.
Inspector Howard Lewis-Jones, from West Midlands Police, said that the force had not yet received any official complaints in relation to the match, but added that they are aware of allegations.
Mr Lewis-Jones said: “I would encourage anyone who has witnessed abusive behaviour to report it as soon as possible so we can act on it. Racism on the terraces will not be tolerated and we take every report extremely seriously.”
The FA are aware of the allegations but said that Norwich City is currently the lead agency in the probe.
A witness to the alleged incident said he and others were “outraged” at what they saw and called stewards over.
“It was sickening to witness such a disgraceful racist incident at close quarters,” the fan said.
“I’ve never ever seen or heard anything like this before at a game and I’m disgusted that a cretin like this was wearing a City shirt.”
In October last year police investigated fresh allegations that racist abuse was directed towards former City manager Chris Hughton.
And the December before saw Norfolk Police investigate two tweets sent to player Sebastien Bassong after a 1-1 draw at Everton in the November.
Do you have a story for us? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org