Search

Norwich Weather

Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 5°C

min temp: 3°C

Man used Audi ‘like a weapon’ to mow down pedestrian after late-night confrontation

PUBLISHED: 16:36 17 November 2017

Ricky Sutton was jailed for 11 years for GBH and dangerous driving. Picture: Norfolk Constabulary

Ricky Sutton was jailed for 11 years for GBH and dangerous driving. Picture: Norfolk Constabulary

Norfolk Constabulary

A man deliberately drove his Audi at three men as they crossed a city centre street, throwing one of them into air and leaving him with life-changing injuries, a court heard.

Police at the scene of the hit and run, at the junction of Rose Lane and Eastbourne Place. Picture: Ally McGilvray Police at the scene of the hit and run, at the junction of Rose Lane and Eastbourne Place. Picture: Ally McGilvray

Ricky Sutton was today jailed for 11 years after Norwich Court was told he used the car “as a weapon” because he felt he was the victim in a previous confrontation.

The 30-year-old mowed down the victim in the Rose Lane area using his black Audi and sped off from the scene leaving the victim lying the road with serious leg and head injuries.

Peter Gair, prosecuting, said the victim could not remember anything after he was struck and thrown into the air by the car in the incident, which happened just after 5am on Sunday, August 27.

He was taken to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital and had surgery to have a metal rod inserted in his leg, which has left him worrying about his future. Mr Gair said the victim also suffered a deep cut to his head.

Police at the scene of the hit and run, at the junction of Rose Lane and Eastbourne Place. Picture: Ally McGilvray Police at the scene of the hit and run, at the junction of Rose Lane and Eastbourne Place. Picture: Ally McGilvray

In an impact statement the victim said the incident had changed his life significantly.

Sutton, of Civic Gardens, Norwich, admitted causing grievous bodily harm with intent and dangerous driving in Rose Lane and Mountergate, Norwich,

The court heard he had a previous conviction for dangerous driving when he had reversed at a garage forecourt and knocked over a 57-year-old man.

Jailing him for 11 years and imposing an 11-and-a-half year driving ban, Recorder Guy Ayers told Sutton: ”This was a particularly serious example of the use of a car as a weapon.”

Police at the scene of the hit and run, at the junction of Rose Lane and Eastbourne Place. Picture: Ally McGilvray Police at the scene of the hit and run, at the junction of Rose Lane and Eastbourne Place. Picture: Ally McGilvray

He said Sutton had been involved in some sort of altercation earlier and said: “I am prepared to accept that your perception was that you were a victim in that incident.”

However he said that Sutton had then behaved in an extraordinary manner when he had fetched his car and driven at the three men who were “quite lawfully” crossing the road.

He said he had read a letter sent to the court by Sutton and said: “It is quite clear you understand the serious nature of what you did.”

Richard Wood, for Sutton, said: “He appreciates the gravity of what he has done.”

He said Sutton was willing to accept help in dealing with his issues and his “severe loss of control”.

He said he deserved credit for his guilty plea.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Show Job Lists