Former Norfolk couple who lost son in Connecticut school shootings call for stricter gun laws
PUBLISHED: 12:23 16 January 2013 | UPDATED: 12:23 16 January 2013
A former Norfolk couple who lost their child in the Newtown school shootings, has called for stricter gun control in America.
Ian and Nicole Hockley, who met, studied and worked in Norwich, lost their six-year-son Dylan in the massacre on December 14 in which 20 children and six teachers were killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School, in Newtown, Connecticut.
In an interview with the BBC, Mr Hockley urged Washington to act now on gun control and introduce stricter laws on ownership.
He said: “The unthinkable has happened.
“All the shootings that have come before have indeed been terrible tragedies, but now it’s sunk so low that very small children have now been the target of this.
“How could it possibly get worse? If they cannot address this now, it’s as if they think they can never address it and they will give up and this will go on.”
The family moved to America two years ago from their home in Hampshire for Mr Hockley’s work.
In the interview, Mrs Hockley recalled going to the school to look for Dylan on the day of the shootings.
She said: “After a while, as the kids were all leaving with their parents, you just start wandering around thinking ‘Where’s mine?’.
“The police confirmed that 20 children had been shot and the room erupted. And I remember I started shaking - and I just couldn’t stop for the life of me.
“But everyone’s thinking, which kids? It’s not mine - there’s more than 20 people in this room, there’s got to be more than 20 families, it’s not mine.”
Dylan’s body was later found in the embrace of his classroom assistant, Anne Marie Murphy.
Dylan’s parents both studied at the University of East Anglia and worked in the county before marrying in Norwich in 1993.