Norwich Weather



max temp: 7°C

min temp: 6°C

Drayton businessman warned he faces jail after being found guilty of setting fire to his Aylsham bathroom and kitchen business

PUBLISHED: 13:03 04 August 2014 | UPDATED: 14:50 04 August 2014

Justin Hindry from Aylsham Bath and Kitchens.

Justin Hindry from Aylsham Bath and Kitchens.


A businessman has been warned he faces jail after he was convicted of setting fire to his £1m family bathroom and kitchen centre and insurance fraud.

Justin Hindry, 42, of Manor Farm Close, Drayton, was found guilty of setting fire to his family firm Aylsham Bathroom and Kitchen Centre and making a fraudulent insurance claim for the blaze, but was cleared on an arson attack on holiday caravan in Great Yarmouth, and making a fraudulent insurance claim for the caravan which he bought on a £30,000 finance deal.

The jury at Norwich Crown Court returned the verdicts after more than eight hours of deliberations.

His barrister Nick Cotter asked if Hindry could get bail so he could sort out his personal matters and “put his house in order”.

But Judge Katharine Moore turned down the request and remanded Hindry in custody for his own “well being” and for fear he might not turn up for his sentencing and told him: “Custody would appear inevitable.”

She ordered full reports and has adjourned sentence until September 3.

The fire at Aylsham Bathroom and Kitchen Centre, in Burgh Road, Aylsham, took hold on June 27, 2012. The jury heard how investigations showed the burglar alarm had been turned off and then back on again shortly before the fire.

Hindry’s mobile phone tracking technology had also thrown Hindry’s alibi at the time of the fire into question, putting him in the area of his business at the time he left work to travel to his father’s house in Reepham.

The prosecution also described Hindry as having a gambling habit of “not inconsiderable size.”

He lost £61,000 at one casino between 2005 and 2011 and £55,000 at another and about £12,000 in betting shops.

Hindry was cleared of starting a fire at his caravan at Haven Seashore Holiday Park. He said he was at home in bed when he was woken by a phone call in the early hours of November 8, 2011, by a member of the holiday park staff to tell him about the fire.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Show Job Lists