Norwich Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 17°C

min temp: 14°C

Defendant in Great Yarmouth murder claims he had nothing to do with beating man to death

PUBLISHED: 16:16 25 June 2014 | UPDATED: 16:23 25 June 2014

Norwich Crown Court. Photo: Adrian Judd.

Norwich Crown Court. Photo: Adrian Judd.

copyright of Archant © 2010 01603 772434

One of four men accused of the murder of a Lithuanian man, in Great Yarmouth, whose body was found in a stairwell in a block of flats told a flatmate he had nothing to do with the death, a court heard.

One of the four defendants, accused of beating a man to death, in Great Yarmouth, confessed to his housemate he had no involvement in the death, before fleeing back to Lithuania, a court heard.

The body of Paulius Jakovlevas, 38, was found at the bottom of communal stairs at the flat in Wellesley Road, in the early hours of November 11, last year.

The jury at Norwich Crown Court, heard that Mr Jacovlevas had been drinking with the four men when an argument started over his tattoo and after he was beaten to death, his body was dumped at the bottom of the stairs.

Kestutis Sliogeris, 40, of Cromwell Road, Peterborough, Saidas Janulevicius, 35, of no fixed address, Algirdas Pocius, 47, of Wellington Road, Great Yarmouth, and Mantas Staponka, 24, of no fixed address, have all denied murder.

Sliogeris has also denied a charge of attempting to pervert the course of justice.

Giving evidence, Ricardas Micolaitis said that he had allowed Pocius to share his house to help pay the rent.

However he said that Pocius had owed him cash for the rent and described him as a “professional liar” and a heavy drinker.

He said that Pocius had returned back to the house and told him he had been drinking with a group of friends and that a man was dead in an apartment.

Mr Micolaitis said: “He was beaten to death. That was my understanding. At first it was difficult to believe and to be honest I did not want to know anything about it.”

He said he told Pocius that if he did not have anything to do with it he should go to the police.

“He said he had nothing to do with it.”

He said Pocius mentioned he was with friends and said that Kestutis was there, but said he did not know who else was at the flat, when the man had been beaten to death.

“I did not want to know names or anything. That is why I did not ask any questions.”

He said that Pocius then contacted him later to say he was going back to Lithuania and he had given him a lift to where he was getting transport.

Mr Micolaitis said that he was worried about getting involved as he did not want to come under any suspicion.

“I was shocked.”

He said that why he had not told police all he knew at first.

The trial continues.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Show Job Lists