April 21 2015 Latest news:
By sophie wyllie
Thursday, August 7, 2014
Concerns over an increase in traffic and flooding risks have led councillors to oppose a potential housing development.
Buxton with Lamas Parish Council debated the pre-application consultation for 23 homes on land off Lion Road, Buxton, this week in front of 40 residents, the applicant and landowner ,David Waller, and his agent Tom Corfield.
Concerns were raised by residents on Mead Close as the applicant hoped for access to the new homes via the cul-de-sac.
After the special meeting, parish councillors voted to oppose access to the possible development through Mead Close because of the impact of extra traffic, affect on infrastructure and risk of flooding.
They did not object to the new homes.
In a letter, resident James Winter said Mr Waller had bought a bungalow within Mead Close “with the intention of demolishing it to build an access road”.
He said: “Mead Close is a small, quiet and peaceful cul-de-sac consisting of 19 properties. The proposal has ignited the fears and concerns of the local residents.”
These included the felling of mature ash trees destroying bat habitats, loss of privacy if tall trees were removed, and a concern that surface water would flow from the development to Mead Close because the land earmarked for homes was five feet higher than nearby properties.
The access would also result in a “significant increase in noise and flow of traffic” which could create difficulties for emergency service vehicles.
Ideas for the development started in April last year and Norfolk County Council’s highways department has said an earlier proposed access off Lion Road would be unsuitable.
In a letter to Buxton with Lamas Parish Council clerk Ros Calvert, agent Mr Corfield, from Irelands chartered surveyors in Norwich, said: “Now that we know that Lion Road cannot be used, it is by pure chance/luck that David happens to own the bungalow off Mead Close which could provide the access...
“If the bungalow remains, I am of the view that this site is undeliverable due to the lack of an alternative access.”
He added the bungalow was worth in the region of £225,000 and it was “contributing to housing stock” for Buxton but three of the proposed housing plots would compensate the landowner for the loss of the bungalow.
Concerns were also raised about the loss of a home at the parish council meeting.
The North Norfolk News attempted to contact Mr Waller and Mr Corfield, but they declined to comment.
A planning application for the development has not been submitted to Broadland District Council.
The land, which covers 0.8 hectares, could be part of the proposed site allocations for new homes in Broadland, which is yet to be decided.
■Do you have concerns about a development in north Norfolk? Email firstname.lastname@example.org