December 23 2014 Latest news:
By LUCY Clapham
Friday, August 15, 2014
A man who accidentally set himself on fire has warned against copying online videos.
Chris Monger was following the video on how to make “rocket fuel” to power fireworks when the experiment went horribly wrong and the substance exploded, engulfing him in flames.
He immediately dropped to the kitchen floor at his home in Bradwell and managed to put the flames out before emergency services arrived.
The 26-year-old, who is well known locally for fixing people’s mobile phones, was rushed to hospital and treated for burns to his hands, arms, stomach, chest, face and back.
Chris is now on the mend at home in Green Lane but has warned others to avoid the online tutorials.
“I wouldn’t recommend doing it,” he said. “I’d say stay away from it. It could have been a life ruiner for me.
“It could have been a hell of a lot worse, I could have lost my eyesight.”
The former Great Yarmouth College student said he was watching the video to make the flammable substance using some of the chemicals he uses to fix phones.
He had made up several batches without a problem, cooking them up on the kitchen stove.
But as he was working on the last mix, the bottom of the saucepan gave way and the substance hit the hob and exploded all over him.
Chris explained: “I was in the kitchen with my mum and sister eating strawberries and going back and forth to the stove.
“The saucepan I was working with was a cheap one and it got to the end of its tether. The bottom had all scratched away and some of the inside metal was getting thinner and thinner.
“I’d left it pulled off [the hob] slightly and one edge that was still on got red hot. When I went to put it back on [the heat] and stir it one last time that’s when it went bang. It lit instantly and blew up in my face.”
Chris, who was not wearing a top at the time, dropped to the floor and managed to roll the flames out before paramedics arrived.
“The pain didn’t hit me until I was in the ambulance,” he added. “They put some stuff on me, they said it was better than water. It burnt more than the fire did but after 10 - 15 minutes it went away and I was fine.”
He was rushed to the James Paget Hospital and later transferred to a specialist burns unit in Chelmsford where he spent a week recovering. He was discharged at the weekend but has had to return this week for a dressing change.
Chris admitted he felt “like an idiot” following the accident on Sunday, August 3 and is thankful his injuries were not worse. Doctors have told him he should not suffer any scarring and he is now concentrating on recovering.
He said he had also been comforted by get well messages of support from friends and customers.