January 28 2015 Latest news:
Tuesday, April 22, 2014
A team of binmen had to inadvertently stop their round in Reedham this afternoon after their lorry caught fire.
No one was injured in the blaze, which broke out at the front of the vehicle just before 1pm as the team were collecting garden waste in the village.
The workers from Veolia, collecting on behalf of Broadland District Council, noticed a warning light come on on the dashboard, followed by smoke pouring from the engine.
They immediately leapt out of the lorry and called the fire brigade and their depot.
The vehicle was said to be well alight when firefighters from Acle, Great Yarmouth and Gorleston arrived at the scene in Church Road. Crews used breathing apparatus, main and hose reel jets - supplemented by a hydrant - as well as compressed air foam to distinguish the flames.
A thermal image camera was then used to check for hot spots.
Victoria Cooper, from Veolia, said the fire was not connected to the waste being collected and other vehicles had been sent to the village to finish off the round. A team was also sent to put sand and gravel down on the road to deal with any fuel spills.