November 23 2014 Latest news:
Wednesday, August 13, 2014
Listen very carefully I shall say zis only once...
Classic TV comedy ‘Allo ‘Allo! is taking to the Maddermarket Theatre stage in Norwich this month in a stage show bringing together highlights from the popular BBC series about hapless waiter René and his cafe in war-time France.
Featuring all the well-known characters, from saucy waitress Yvette to Gestapo agent Herr Flick, the stage version includes many of the hilarious complications and shenanigans that unfolded on our TV screens in the 1980s and 1990s.
Among them, René (played by David Rees in the stage show) and his wife Edith (Sandra Barker) are struggling to keep for themselves the priceless portrait stolen by the Nazis and kept in a sausage in their cellar, meanwhile René is also hiding two British airmen and communicating with London through a wireless disguised as a cockatoo.
Trevor Thurston, who is directing the show written by Jeremy Lloyd and David Croft, said: “It’s great fun. When I first read the script I rolled around laughing. We have got a tremendous cast for the show and the laughter during rehearsals has been staggering.”
He added: “It is just a romp through war-time France, with a slant of taking the mickey out of all nationalities - British, French, German, Italian.
“It has adapted extremely well for the stage. They have selected a series of the plots that run in sequence, and the Fallen Madonna with the Big Boobies runs all the way through.
“It has been great fun in rehearsals. If the audience get as much fun out of it as we have then they will be in for an absolutely hilarious time. There’s laughter and innuendo in every line.”
As well as watching the show, the audience are also being encouraged to get in the 1940s spirit and dress up in the style of the time, and the Maddermarket bar is also going to be transformed into René’s cafe for the occasion,
• The Norwich Players’ production of ‘Allo ‘Allo is at the Maddermarket Theatre in Norwich from Thursday, August 21 until Saturday, August 30. Tickets £8-£12.
For more information visit www.maddermarket.co.uk or call the box office on 01603 620917.
Classic ‘Allo ‘Allo! lines from the BBC show
• René: [to wife Edith] Youuuuuu stupid woman!
• Yvette: Ooooh Rrrrenéééé.
• Edith: René! What are you doing with your arms around that girl[Yvette]?
René: You stupid woman? Can you not see she’s suffering from claustrophobia? She accidentally locked herself in the larder.
• Michelle Dubois: Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.
• Officer Crabtree: God Moaning. The resist-once have accqo-aired a bum. They are going to ex-plod the whaleway brodge.
• Herr Flick: I will not be reporting this incident to Berlin. I do not wish to look a right ‘nana.
• Col. Von Strom: [about Hitler] Do you think he has a screw loose?
Gen. Von Klinkerhoffen: In my opinion, a whole Meccano set is falling apart in there!
• Monsieur Alfonse: Perhaps Madame Edith will make me the happiest man alive...
René: I thought you wanted to marry her?
• Herr Flick: I have three fallen Madonnas, with six big boobies. Only one of them is real.
Helga: Only one big booby?
Flick. One painting is the original, the other two are forgeries.
• Officer Crabtree: I am wicking this woo because my poloceman’s troosers are full of deenamote.