Ten months of work to tackle flooding problems in Thorpe St Andrew under way
Work on a multi-million pound revamp of drains, which will see almost a year of road closures has begun, with council bosses saying the disruption is crucial to prevent flooding.
Ten months of work in Thorpe St Andrew started last week, following work which has already been carried out in Taverham, Drayton and Sprowston.
More than a hundred properties in and around Norwich were left under water in summer 2014, as flash floods hit communities.
Norfolk County Council said the problems were caused by an ageing drainage network that was nearing the end of its useful life.
A bid for £9.1m from the Department for Transport to tackle the issue was successful and the county council is adding £1.2m to make improvements.
More than four miles of pipe will be laid on 27 Thorpe St Andrew Roads through the work.
Completely new drainage systems which meet current standards are being installed to assist the old existing soakage systems which are often overwhelmed in very heavy downpours.
Work affecting St Williams Way and the ring road will start next week and should be complete by the end of July. The council said those busy routes will remain open throughout the works with two or three way traffic lights occasionally in use, however some temporary closures of residential roads over the next 10 months will be necessary.
Martin Wilby, chairman of the environment, development and transport committee, said: “We’re seeking to cut the chances of floods affecting people and their homes and businesses and I’m pleased how swiftly we have been able to get the scheme underway and carry out this major work.
“Digging up streets is disruptive to local residents, so knowing that on average we are able to lay around 20 metres of pipe a day means that the hassle of having works happening outside your house is thankfully limited.
“This work will make sure vital commuter routes, public transport and walking and cycling corridors, are far less likely to be affected by flooding in the future.
“We are very grateful for the patience of residents while we carry out these important works.”
During construction the excavated areas will be fenced off and where necessary, road closures will be in operation to ensure the safety of the public with signed diversion routes in place.
The work started on Wednesday last week and is expected to take 10 months to complete.
Further information will be distributed to local residents two weeks before each piece of work is done, detailing the expected start date and durations of the work.