From the archives: In pictures - The story of Norwich Airport through the years
PUBLISHED: 13:08 12 June 2014 | UPDATED: 13:19 12 June 2014
Norwich Airport officially opened in 1933 as a small civil airport at Mousehold, Norwich.
Click on the photo gallery in the top-right for the story of Norwich Airport from 1933 to the present day.
Norwich Airport through the years
1938: Norwich officially opened in 1933 as a small civil airport at Mousehold, Norwich. Here, a samll party of radio dealers leave Mousehold airfield in a charter aircraft bound for the Radio Show at Olympia.
1953: During the Second World War the airfield was taken over by the Royal Air Force and by the end of the war aircraft had progressed to the extent that Mousehold was no longer considered suitable for further development. Pictured are RAF airmen at the base in 1953.
1956: Photo shows Princess Margaret’s visit to RAF Horsham St Faith in 1956.
This photo shows a Channel Airways Dove landing passengers at the airport in 1968.
1975: The old control tower at Norwich Airport.
1976: Air hostesses arrive at the operations room to report for duty.
1982: Stewardess models the new outfit for Air Anglia’s air and ground staff.
1988: The airport became a limited company in 1987.here, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother opens the new terminal building in 1988.
1999: Norwich is officially renamed Norwich International Airport and a new corporate identity is launched.
2004: Norwich Airport is sold into private ownership and UK based regional airport operator Omniport becomes the majority shareholder, with Norfolk County Council and Norwich City Council retaining a minority interest.
Holidaymakers are set for a boost thanks to an extension of the Park and Ride Airport route.
1 / 10