May 21 2013 Latest news:
Churches - H Places - H A corner of Hempnall showing the village post office and parish church of St Margaret in the background. At the time part of these cottages were the home of the Lord Mayor and Lady Mayoress of Norwich ( Mr and Mrs Cecil Sutton ) Dated August 1967 Photograph C2280
Monday, October 29, 2012
Post offices have long been a lifeline in our villages and outlying areas and this week we present an affectionate tribute to some of these from our archives.
The post office at Old Lakenham on the outskirts of Norwich was prettily situated on the river, as this shot from 1953 shows (1).
Miss Howard, the postmistress at Bressingham, poses proudly outside her shop for our photographer in 1955 (2).
Cringleford Post Office and general store, the only one in the village, was featured in the Evening News of July 1961 (3).
The next year our photographer was in Acle and produced this shot of the post office (4).
A happy scene in the village of Brooke from the early 1960s, as this van of youngsters passes by the post office with its board advertising excursions (5).
Hempnall Post Office, housed in this handsome building, shared the space with the then Lord Mayor of Norwich, Mr Cecil Sutton and his wife. (6).
The post office and general stores at Gunthorpe was run by L. Bond in 1970 (7).
R&S Keeley is the name above the door of the Hethersett post office, in our picture of 26 November 1973 (8).
Tuttington village heritage society pose with Mr David Papworth, chairman of the parish council, in front of the post office and general stores in 1985 (9).
The Tydd St Giles post office and stores, run by Alan and Yvonne Foster, was the subject of our photograph taken in February 1990 (10).
If you recognise anyone in the pictures or would like to tell us more about them then you can email firstname.lastname@example.org
To get a copy of one of our old photographs, visit www.edp24.co.uk/buyaphoto or telephone Diane Townsend on 01603 772449;